Can you tell us more about you?
- Name: Nikki
- Age: 28
- Country: Belgium
- Studies: bachelor's degree in social work and master's degree in sociology.
- Day job: Social Worker in a Belgian welfare institution that (a.o.) provides minimal income to citizens
- Dream job as a kid: magazine editor, photographer, TV-presenter or film maker for a travel channel
- Hobbies: Photography & Gardening
- Pets: no, but I kind of really really really want a Australian Shepard.
- Favorite travel destination: anyplace with mountains or lakes
What camera do you use?
When I first started blogging I used my parents's Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 point-and-shoot camera. My first outfit photos and travel guides were all captured with that little silver camera
My parent's bought me a Nikon d3100 for Christmas in 2010. I used this camera between 2011 and 2017 and it actually still works today. It came in a kit with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens that I never used. Instead, I bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens (the one I still use today!) and later also a 35mm f/1.8. I learned everything there is to learn about photography on this camera. This entry-level DSLR is and affordable camera and perfect for all your blog photography!
2018 - today
For Christmas 2017 I treated myself to a camera upgrade. I chose a Nikon d750 full-frame camera body. I currently have two lenses for it: a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 24-70m f/2.8. I use the 50mm for my outfit photos and the 24-70mm always goes into my travel bag. I'm thinking about getting a 35mm f/1.4 in the future.
Quick photo editing tips?
- Download Google's Snapseed and thank me later!
- Now that you are downloading apps: Adobe LightRoom has a great free mobile version!
- Learn to use the curves tool (Snapseed and LR)
- Learn to use the HSL-sliders in LightRoom
What are your favorite brands to shop for clothing?
- J.Crew for the in-between seasons
- Cos and Arket for knitwear
- H&M for affordable basics of good quality
- Massimo Dutti for anything and everything
- Hobbs London for classic dresses
- Comptoir des Cottoniers for basics in natural fabrics
Favorite Belgian coffee shops?
- Antwerp: Tinsel, Caffènation, Kolonel Coffee, Viggo's and Black/Yellow. One for each neighborhood!
- Brussels: Or Coffee Roasters, JAT, La Fabriqu
- Bruges: Vero Caffè, Li-O-Lait
- Ghent: Billy Rose, Peaberry, Or Coffee Roasters
- Hasselt: King Kong Koffie
- Mechelen: Kaffee-ine
- Ostend: De Familie Jansen